Programs and Services
The mission of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Village, a non-profit organization, is to enhance the quality of life for older adults choosing to maintain independent living in the Palos Verdes Peninsula area. Dedicated members and volunteers who provide educational opportunities, organize social events, and coordinate services will assure the success of PVP Village. What we offer our members is based on this mission.
Social activities and educational programs
PVP Village offers a variety of social and educational programs designed to help members stay engaged with each other and the community. The ongoing development of these events and programs is the result of members’ needs and interests and ultimately, their efforts and that of our volunteers.
Our event calendar provides details of what is currently available. The types of events include but are not limited to:
- Book clubs
- Holiday programs
- Men’s and Ladies’ lunches
- Happy Hours
- Discussion groups
- Health talks
- And more as defined by our members!
Some of these events may be offered in conjunction with our community partners.
Services from Volunteers
Members are able to access services from our trained and vetted volunteers, many of whom are also members. We offer these services as volunteers are available. These services include:
- Transportation – Our most requested service from PVP Village members is driving for a weekly errand or appointment. Our vetted drivers can take you to medical appointments, shopping, Village events and other errands. We require a 3-4 business day notice and offer this service as volunteers are available.
- Household maintenance – Our volunteers can help with a variety of tasks in and around your home such as changing hard-to-reach light bulbs, assembling furniture, fixing a leaky faucet, replacing alarm batteries and minor home repairs. For larger projects, they can determine what type of professional you might need and make referrals.
- Assistance with electronics – We have volunteers that can help with computer and printer problems, cell phones and other tricky and frustrating electronic devices. They can teach you how to use your various devices, navigate the internet and make purchases on-line.
- Friendly visits and calls - Volunteers are available to come by for a friendly chat or game, a walk, or checking in as needed.
- Special Services – This is an open-ended list. Member needs and volunteer willingness define what we can offer. Examples from the past include cleaning out a closet, taking items to Goodwill, temporary meal assistance, etc.
Palos Verdes Peninsula Village has created a vendor referral list for our members from various sources. Most have been personally recommended by one of our members or volunteers. Members that request a referral will work with the vendor directly to negotiate the scope of work and cost. PVP Village does not guarantee the performance of these vendors in any way, nor will PVP Village be a party to any contract a member may enter into with a referred vendor.
In addition, PVP Village has a large resource book for its members of community organizations and services that help make staying in your home more feasible in certain situations. These include resources on transportation, meal-prep and delivery, pharmacies, and low-vision support.